Sunday, November 28, 2010

Zatanna!

Hey everyone! Over the past weekend, I read "Zatanna", up to the current issue. Below are a few likes and dislikes about the book.

Zatanna Zatara is a powerful sorceress, who moonlights as a magician. Previously a member of the JLA, the new series is independent of the JLA. The story mentions her being a part of the JLA, but doesn't go any further than simply mentioning it. Her talents are genetic, coming from her father, who was a very powerful sorcerer.

I dig that Paul Dini wrote the story. Paul Dini is easily one of my favorite writers. Other projects he's worked on include: "Gotham City Sirens" and "Streets of Gotham". Having loved Dini's work for so long, I was a little bored with his work on "Zatanna".

I love "Batgirl" and "Gotham City Sirens" because the characters are very relatable. Even though they're crime fighters (or former villains) these girls are funny. They gossip and they backstab, and they make mistakes. Zatanna makes mistakes, but they're not really anything I care about. Below is wikipedia's explanation of the story line.


Now no longer an active member of the JLA, Zatanna is asked by officer Dale Colton to help her solve a murder case at a restaurant frequented by mobsters. Zatanna informs Dale that the murderer was a powerful sorcerer known as Brother Night, who rules the supernatural crime scene in San Francisco. After Zatanna shows up at Night's demonic nightclub and threatens him, he responds by calling upon a powerful demon for help in taking her down

Maybe it's not the story that I'm not interested in, maybe its the supernatural element that I'm not interested in. I mean, as far as her powers go, I love it. She has the ability to get into people's heads, and to cast spells on just about everything. I don't care about the supernatural part though. There are demons that cast "shape shifting" spells on aliens and demons that make them look like people, and I think that is weird. Lol. I really like sci-fi, but I don't like it in this capacity. I'm not even sure if that makes sense. I like my superheroes being a super human version of myself. I don't like my superheroes fighting weird dream monsters. It's certainly an interesting story, it's just not for me.

Like it or not, she sure is nice to look at.

No comments:

Post a Comment