Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Wizarding Wednesdays!

Hey everyone! Here we are again, another fantastic Wednesday evening. The Editor and myself figured out how to make the heat work in the house, so here we are, nice and toasty warm. :-) The game of the night is Aberrant. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's kind of like D&D, only you you create a superhero instead of an Elf or a Dwarf. By the end of the night, I will have full character descriptions on everyone here, which I will post with an illustration next week. Prior to Aberrant we're having the Nerdfest premier of "The Walking Dead". Since The Editor and I have already watched it, I'm going to take this opportunity to write my review of it.

Cooler than D&D (in my opinion)
 The Walking Dead is a comic that I have been reading for several years now. I'm actually the one who got the majority of my guy friends reading it. I love Robert Kirkman. He has yet to write something that disappoints me. He is one of the EP's on the television show, and I couldn't be happier. The first episode of the show did not fail to disappoint at all. It was certainly an introduction show, but they did a great job of developing the characters, some of which I haven't seen in years. There are going to be some additions in the show (according to what was said about the show at NYCC) which Robert Kirkman helped develop, so I'm looking forward to seeing that too. The first episode basically revolved around Rick Grimes, a cop who gets shot, and goes into a coma. When Rick gets out of the coma the world around him has changed. The dead are alive, and attacking the living. His wife and son are missing, and he's not entirely sure of what is going on. He meets up with a man and his son, and befriends them while trying to figure it all out. The man tells Rick that they were told told to head for the cities for protection, and Rick decides to head to Atlanta. The episode ends with our protagonist is trapped inside of a tank, surrounded by zombies.

While we were at NYCC we got to watch the first six minutes of the second episode, and I can honestly say, if you didn't like the first episode, because it may have been a little slow, just give it one more episode and you'll be hooked. I enjoyed the first episode, but I will be happy once we get all of the character development out of the way, and get to really get into the meat of the show. This show is NOT a zombie TV show. It's a show about the human condition, and how one would behave once the world has ended. It will leave you hoping that you will never know what it will be like to live in a world like that.

If you haven't read the trades, please do. There is so much content and awesomeness in them. From what I understand, the show is almost exactly like the book, however, I think that they will be different enough from each other, that it would be totally worth the read. I mean, I LOVE "True Blood" and I LOVE the Southern Vampire Mysteries by Charlaine Harris, that the show is based around, but the two mediums are just different enough to make it worthwhile to read or watch.

I'll have full character work ups next Wednesday for you guys. So until tomorrow, stay classy internets...

No comments:

Post a Comment