Saturday, November 27, 2010

Book Reviews with Evan T.

Hey all. I just got done reading a book called Death Troopers. It's about zombies. In the Star Wars universe. I am pretty sure that if they found a way to stick Iron Man in there then I my head would have exploded with awesome. Below will be a quick review and do be warned: Spoilers ahead.





The story is about the Imperial prison barge Purge and it's inmates and crew. They have have engine troubles (SHOCK) and their only chance lies within the star destroyer Vector which is conveniently derelict. A small group of the c.o.'s go on board to scavenge parts for their engines. They then find something aboard the star destroyer.
  
The novel is well written in the short chapter style by Joe Schreiber. It ends up being a little formulaic but is totally enjoyable. A few things I liked:

Zombies! - these zombies are different than the ones we are used to. The way they interact and attack is totally new and very interesting. Another novel, a prequel, will be coming out soon and I would like to see some of the origin of the virus.

Star Wars! - Yeah, I know there have been some dabblings in horror for the Star Wars universe but this one is fresh and I hope it is a sign of things to come.

Han and Chewie! - Yes, in the depths of the prison barge is the solitary section. And in that section? A wookie named Chewbacca and and a smuggler named Han Solo. Having established characters was a neat little cherry on top

Things I did not like:

Introducing new species
- there are about five thousand species of aliens in the Star Wars universe. I felt like the new species introduced in this book is a little forced. Ha, "forced".

Von Longo's death - this is a major plot point that they never really addressed and it was hanging out there begging to be explored. Why leave it?

Story era setting - the whole time I was reading the book I was wondering what era it took place in. It might not be as big a concern for non-Star Wars geeks but I would have liked to know it while I was reading, not afterward when I read it online.

All in all it's a neat bit and I am excited for Red Harvest, the prequel. Check it out if you get the chance or ask to borrow my copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment