Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Nerdy Movies that I'm Super Pumped for in 2011 Part One

Good day all! I'm feeling mostly better today. Quick recovery from the plague! So, since I was watching movies, and British TV all day yesterday (as well as creepily stalking people on IMDB), I started to come up with a list of all the Nergasm inducing movies that I'm excited for in 2011. Below is the list!

The Green Hornet (1/14)- It seems as if this is the year of the green! This movie started out as a radio show back in the 30's, and since has had a TV series as well as its own comic book series. Kevin Smith did the original script for the movie, but it was rejected by the studios, and became the current comic book series instead. Below is the Wikipedia description of the movie:

Britt Reid, the son of wealthy newspaper publisher James Reid, is a ne'er do well playboy who inherits a media empire after his father dies. One day, he meets an employee named Kato, who is more than he appears. After realizing how he and Kato are not using their abilities the fullest, Britt decides that the two should become crimefighters, taking on the identity of the Green Hornet. With the help of his new secretary, Lenore Case, Britt discovers that Russian criminal Benjamin Chudnofsky controls the city's criminal underworld. Meanwhile, Chudonfsky, paranoid that he is losing his edge as a crime boss, has united all of the gangs of the city and seeks the Green Hornet, believing him to be a direct threat to his elaborate grand plan.

I'm hoping for a noir-type flick. I really like Seth Rogan, and the idea of the movie, the only thing that could really ruin it for me is Cameron Diaz' stupid face. Almost as bad as Katherine Heigel. Almost.




Red Riding Hood (3/11)- Sure, Amanda Seyfried has a little bit of an alien face, but I still love her. The movie (directed by the first "Twilight" movie's Catherine Hardwicke) is a version of the original "Little Red Riding Hood" story. The IMDB synopsis is as follows:

Set in a medieval village that is haunted by a werewolf, a young girl falls for an orphaned woodcutter, much to her family's displeasure.

A few things you should know about me; 1) I LOVE stories set in medieval times, especially when it's in a small village in the woods. 2) I know it's totally played out, but ever since the movie "Blood and Chocolate", I'm totally on board with werewolf lore. This movie could go either way. The good would be the story, the bad would be that, I don't think Catherine Hardwicke is capable of direction. We'll see!



Paul (3/18)- Anything with Simon Pegg and Nick Frost is an automatic "Yes please!" for me. The movie is about two Brits traveling across the US, to get to SDCC (San Diego Comic Con, for those of you who should not be reading this blog if you didn't know what that was). On their way, they meet an alien, Paul, who is voiced by Seth Rogan. I have high hopes for this one because Simon Pegg would never let me down.



Sucker Punch (3/25)- This movie looks awesome. It's directed by Zack Snyder of "Watchmen", so you know, if nothing else, at least it will be pretty to look at. Below is the Warner Bros. release of the synopsis.

“Sucker Punch” is an epic action fantasy that takes us into the vivid imagination of a young girl whose dream world provides the ultimate escape from her darker reality. Unrestrained by the boundaries of time and place, she is free to go where her mind takes her, and her incredible adventures blur the lines between what’s real and what is imaginary.

She has been locked away against her will at Lennox House for the Mentally Insane, but Baby-Doll has not lost her will to survive. Determined to fight for her freedom, she urges four other young girls—the outspoken Rocket the street-smart Blondie, the fiercely loyal Amber and the reluctant Sweet Pea—to band together and try to escape their terrible fate at the hands of their captors, Blue, Madam Gorski and the High Roller.

Led by Baby-Doll, the girls engage in fantastical warfare against everything from samurai to serpents, with a virtual arsenal at their disposal. Together, they must decide what they are willing to sacrifice in order to stay alive. But with the help of The Wiseman, their unbelievable journey—if they succeed—will set them free.

The plot sounds awesome, and I have heard some spoilers, which I won't divulge. Just know that from what I've heard, it's going to be f'ed up.



Thor (5/6)-  Admittedly, I could give a shit about Thor. I think the concept of a Norse God coming to earth to fight with the Avengers is completely ridiculous. However, after seeing the trailer, I must admit it looks pretty cool. I'm hoping Marvel can keep the momentum of "Iron Man" rolling into the next few movies. In my personal opinion however, if they were going to have a Marvel movie bomb, this would be the one.




X-Men: First Class (6/3)- Remember in the previous paragraph where I said that if Marvel was going to make a bomb, it would be Thor? Well, we might have a tie here. I have SUCH high hopes for this movie that I'm going to be EXTREMELY disappointed if it's a steaming pile. Matthew Vaughn of "Kick-Ass" is directing this X-Men prequel, and if he does as great of a job as he did with "Kick-Ass" on this, I'll be thrilled. The movie is set in the 1960's, and discusses the friendship, and subsequent demise of the friendship between Charles Xavier (Professor X) and Eric Lehnsherr (Magneto). Also appearing in the film are Emma Frost, Moira MacTaggart, Beast, Mystique and Cyclops. Please, for the love of god, be a good movie....

The Green Lantern (6/17)- It looks like a fun film. I mean, who doesn't love Ryan Reynolds? Amiright? I personally think that the whole Green Lantern series is completely ridiculous, but kudos to DC for throwing their hat into the Marvel dominated Summer movie-thon. Here's the plot:

A test pilot is granted a mystical green ring that bestows him with otherworldly powers, as well as membership into an intergalactic squadron tasked with keeping peace within the universe. 

Sounds like kind of a yawn fest to me, but I feel like this one will be the blockbuster comic movie of the Summer.




So, these movies will take us through the first half of the year! I'll be posting the second half of the year tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment