Saturday, January 8, 2011

Movies!!! By Evan T.

Hey All. I understand that the Chief has laid out the movies she it excited about coming out this summer. I'm going to try and touch on some movies she hasn't. With one exception...

(All movie descriptions come courtesy of IMDB, the movie website of choice for nerds in the know)

Battle: Los Angeles - March 11


The Plot: A Marine platoon faces off against an alien invasion of Los Angeles.

This is, I'm hoping, the movie Skyline should have been. This is a flick I have been checking out for a while and I am really pumped. Everything I have read about this movie says Black Hawk Down with aliens. Since Black Hawk Down is fantastic and aliens make every movie better I can't wait. I've wanted a gritty alien invasion movie since Independence Day. (I cannot type Independence Day without also typing "Welcome to Earf!) Also Aaron Eckhart is in the lead and that guy is money.



Your Highness - April 8

The Plot: A fantasy-comedy about an arrogant, lazy prince (McBride) who must complete a quest in order to save his father's kingdom.

OK, so first off, Natalie Portman is having a bang up string of movies. Good on ya, Miss Portman. (Part of why I love Natalie Portman http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpMPFGBtE7Q) This movie reunites James Franco and Danny McBride. While Danny McBride could read the phone book and I'd show up the red band trailer of this movie had me laughing out loud. It looks like it will finally marry comedy and fantasy well.



Fast Five - April 29

The Plot: A federal agent (Johnson) is dispatched to Rio de Janeiro, where former cop Brian O'Conner (Walker) an ex-con Dom Toretto (Diesel) are assembling a final race as a desperate chance to gain their freedom.

I know this isn't really nerdy. I know. While I am sure Carly and The Editor wont be with me I will be making a pilgrimage to the closest real IMAX theater for this one. What, you have a movie that combines my three hetero man crushes (Paul Walker, Vin Diesel and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson) and my second favorite franchise?? Yeah, sign me up please.




Thor - May 6


Ok, ok. So Carlz is not thinking that Kenneth freakin Branagh can bring it. The most important part of this movie, for me, was the casting of Thor and I really like this Chris Hemsworth dude. He works. Plus Natalie Portman comes up again. I think that Thor has good odds and will have great momentum that will really make this a big movie. I really think Green Lantern, which is one of my favorite heroes, looks like drek. And the costume....really WB? Really?

Pirates of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides - May 20

The Plot: After crossing paths with a woman from his past (Cruz), Captain Jack Sparrow (Depp) is swept aboard the Queen Anne's Revenge, the ship of the formidable pirate Blackbeard (McShane), on an unexpected mission to find the elusive fountain of youth.


Captain Jack Sparrow is, thinking quickly, the only character in recent films I would want to watch across 6 films. Johnny Depp has been waiting for this role forever. The first movie in a new series focusing on the good captain starts a new trilogy and I cannot not be entertained by these films. And I will be fixing the fact that Carly hasn't seen these flicks soon



Super 8 - June 10

The Plot: Set in 1979, an alien entity en route from Area 51 to a facility in Ohio breaks free from captivity.

Say what you will about Cloverfield (I liked it) but part of the fun of that film was NOT knowing absolutely everything about the film from the trailer. J.J. Abrams did a great job of keeping any info on the downlow and that really made it exciting. Old time movie going before the Age of Information. I totally trust that this movie will blow people away.



Transformers: Dark of the Moon - July 1

The Plot: Against the backdrop of the space race between the U.S.S.R. and the USA, the alliance between Sam Witwicky (LaBeouf) and Optimus Prime is put to the test against a common enemy: Shockwave.

Sometimes I like to go and get into a good ol' fashion popcorn movie. Micheal Bay and his Baysplosions always seem to do it for me. Listen people, what are you expecting from a Transformers movie? We got what we wanted from the animated movie and the last two live action movies have had giant robots fighting. Get real, get over your pretentious art snob sensibilities and have some fun with me on the first of July.




Captain America: The First Avenger - July 22



The Plot: After being deemed unfit for military service during WWII, Steve Rogers (Evans) volunteers for a top secret research project that turns him into Captain America, the Sentinel of Liberty -- a superhero dedicated to defending America's ideals. His first mission: to combat the Nazi propaganda effort headed by Johann Schmidt (Weaving), also known as the Red Skull.

I'm surprised this wasn't brought up already. Chris Evans has sold me, from pics, he can be Cap. Hugo Weaving keeps trying to get away from The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert and cement his ability to show up at cons for life (The Matrix, The Lord of The Rings, Transformers, V for Vendetta). We know Joe Johnston can do this kind of film (Go watch The Rocketeer again and tell me I'm wrong). Cap, like Superman, has been a character I have always liked and really admired that they kept him this shining beacon of what a good person can be.


Note from Carly: Dear Evan,
Please read my post on Cap from yesterday ;-)
xoxo,
Carly


BONUS!!!
Real Steel - October 7


The Plot: A boxing drama set in the near-future where 2,000-pound robots that look like humans do battle.


Yeah, it's out of the summer movie schedule but it is geeky and it has Hugh Jackman and fighting robots. I saw a trailer for this bad boy on Io9 a few weeks back and immediately became interested. I'm interested to see where they go with this one. I'll check back in when we learn more about it.




No comments:

Post a Comment