Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Walking Dead Season Finale = Failure


 *Sigh* Where do I begin? I had such high hopes for this show. I've been a fan of the comic for years, and when rumors started circulating about a TV adaptation, I was apprehensive about it. However, when I heard that AMC had picked it up, I felt like my fears had left. AMC does such a great job with things that it's very hard to fail over there. After the success of "Mad Men" and "Breaking Bad", AMC has carved out a little niche for themselves as the cable channel who can do no wrong.

The first two episodes of the show didn't really "grab" me as much as I would have liked. It wasn't until the third episode that I really started caring about what happened. The show is suspenseful, and in my opinion, over the top gory, but smack dab in the middle of all that, you have an awesome story about humanity, and survival. Some people complain that the show "needs more zombies", and that is part of the problem. This story is NOT a story about zombies. It's a story about survival, human nature, and the depths people will go to when they have nothing.

My problem with the season finale is that I could not have cared less about what was going on. I understand that there were only six episodes allowed this season, however, those six episodes failed to make me care about any of the characters. The entire CDC storyline was a waste of time, and basically created a "reset" button for the last episode. We gained absolutely nothing by going to the CDC. When it got to the point where CDC guy was talking to the computer, and the computer was talking back, and the computer locked them into the building, things got a little too "Umbrella Corporation" for my taste. I mean, how convenient was it that when they show up to the CDC, it happens to be the SAME TIME the gigantic doomsday clock is running out? *YAWN*  The one thing we did learn though, is that in the event of a zombie apocalypse, booze is NEVER a good idea.


 Then there was the medical explanation.I don't care about what it does to the brain, and I don't care how it works, I just care about how to kill it. Yes, it's super sad that CDC guy had to experiment on his wife, however, I knew so little about CDC guy, that I failed to care that he had to shoot his wife in the head. Dire times call for desperate measures.

At the end, there is this big "you're leaving, I'm staying" thing with Jacqui and Andrea. Let's start with Jacqui. Jacqui was such a minimal character this season, did anyone really CARE if she stayed? Honestly? Then there is Andrea. If the show follows the books at all, Andrea will becoming a key character in what happens. We're only six episodes in, and they have made Andrea out to be one of the least likable characters on the show. I was WAY more upset at the fact that she almost took Dale down with her, than I was that she wanted to kill herself.


I said it with "True Blood" and I'll say it again now. I understand that the producers and creators want the source material and the TV show to be different, so that fans of the source material don't get bored, and don't spoil things for people who haven't read it. That being said I have absolutely NO problem watching a television show that comes DIRECTLY from the source material. With "The Walking Dead" and "True Blood" the source material is SO good that there is really not a whole lot of reason why they SHOULD be changed. Sure, the occasional add-in of a character, or a slight story change here or there can be a good thing, but when you veer so far off the original story, it just makes me sad.

I'm the kind of gal who believes in second chances, so obviously I'll give season two a go. I'm not saying by any means that the show is terrible, I'm simply saying that it has failed to impress me so far. There are 6 million people who think otherwise, but I'm sticking to my guns. I think with the talent they have at their disposal, it's not too much to ask for a little more.

1 comment:

  1. Completely agree with you on the CDC. It was a waiste of time and left me feeling like the writers just wanted to cram in an explanation to the zombie outbreak. Why is it people need explanations in so many zombie related films and books nowadays? Isn't the fact that the dead start rising with no explanation at all what makes it so scary in the first place? That we no nothing about what is causing it. That is what really scares us. Oh and the one black woman who stayed behind was kind of silly as well. And I guess her husband is kind of cool with it because he only objected once and that didn't even last for a full minute before he ran his ass out of there. On the plus side, it's over. They got their explanation in the story so hopefully the writers won't steer away from the original story ever again for the same stupid reason.

    ReplyDelete