Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Macho Man Randy Savage: In Memorium.

Happy Tuesday everyone! By now, I'm sure everyone knows about the tragic loss of one of the wrestling worlds greatest characters last week. I'm not joking when I say that he was one of my favorite wrestlers ever. I was never big into WWE or anything like that, I just liked the character of Macho Man. He was scary and sweet to me, both a the same time. Also, he has been my favorite character in "WWE All-Stars" as of recently, and when I have the windows open while playing, the neighbors can often hear me shouting "OOOOOOOoooooohhhhh YYYYEEEEeeeeeaaaaahhhhh!!!" at the top of my lungs while playing.


Randall Mario Poffo (AKA Randy Savage) was born November 15th 1952. A second generation wrestler (his father being Angelo Poffo),  Randy took to wrestling like a fish to water. However, prior to his wrestling career, he played minor league baseball for four seasons. He began wrestling as a way to keep in shape in the baseball off season, and eventually decided to quit baseball, and wrestle full-time. During his career the Macho Man held twenty championship titles, and is a ten time world champion. The WWE also named Savage the greatest champion of all time and credited him for bringing "a higher level of credibility to the title through his amazing in-ring performances."


Randy Savage has accomplished so much in his lifetime. In addition to wrestling, he also co-starred in movies like "Spider-Man" and "Ready to Rumble" as well as lending his voice talent to a number of animated television shows and movies. And don't forget about the classic "Snap into a Slim Jim!". Oh, and there was that rap album he put out in 2003, but we don't talk about that...


The Macho Man was a great guy with a fantastic personality, and he will be greatly missed.

Editors Note: Shortly after I wrote this post, I came across THIS totally interesting story in Sports Illustrated.com about Macho Man's time with baseball. It was a fascinating read to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment