Monday, May 9, 2011

Free Comic Book Day Wrap Up!

Happy Monday everyone! Sorry for the lack of posting yesterday, I was out celebrating Sunday by buying a brand new grill, so I can FINALLY have my "Trailer Park Boys" themed cheeseburger picnic, and I was celebrating Mothers Day by going out to dinner with The Editors dad and step-mom, as well as getting my ass kicked by a 7 month old fetus.

Saturday marked the third free comic book day that I attended, and as usual, it was a total blast. The Editor and I hit three different comic shops, and each one was doing their own unique thing. Our first stop was Zombie Planet.


Zombie Planet is primarily a gaming store. You need Munchkin? They've got it. Warhammer? Check! Lunch Money? You betcha! In the past couple of years they've expanded to offer comics as well. Generally speaking, they're one of the best places in the area to find variant issues of your favorite books, they just don't have much in the way of back issues. They are also one of only two places in the area that carry my beloved Ame-Comis.


Anyhoo, as soon as we pulled up to Zombie Planet, there was a line. That was automatically cool, because it's not very often that you see a line outside of a comic book store. It made my heart feel three times bigger. Outside of the store they had a storm trooper and some sort of other Star Wars guy (yup, I'm the only nerd left on the planet who hasn't actually seen the saga...) who were posing with everyone who came in. It was pretty awesome to see kids light up over that :-) Zombie Planet had the best selection of free comics, pins and Hero Clix, so I was happy that we hit them first. They even had a bunch of War Machine Hero Clix left over from last year that they were giving out. Pretty awesome.


After that, it was time to make our annual pilgrimage to Earthworld. Earthworld has a great selection of comics, back issues, and action figures. However, they also refer to themselves as "the Sopranos of comic books", which is slightly off putting. I like going there on a day when it's super busy and there is an event going on, but as a chick, going in there alone can be a little... awkward. Not awkward like "oh, check out the hot chick", awkward like "WTF are you doing in my comic book store?". But I digress...


The Editor was able to find some great variants there at a great price, and they were also holding a canned food drive for the local food banks, so they can't be that bad ;-) The Silver Sentinal (one of Albany's best known superheroes) was there, collecting for the less fortunate, and it was great to see him, since he's now off facebook, and I don't get to chat with him as much. Speaking of which, where the hell did Kick-Ass of Albany go? I miss that kid!


Earthworld also had some sweet assed deals on Blackest Night action figures. All of them were $9, which to me was a total steal, so I got two. I got non-zombie Star Sapphire and zombie Hawk Girl. They are awesome.


After Earthworld it was on to our final stop. Aquilonia. I love me some Aquilonia. They had pizza and cupcakes (every pregnant chicks best friend), and tons of sales. I love Aquilonia because the guys that work there are great. They're always super friendly, they let me advertise in their store, and they're always up for a nerdy conversation.


We ended up getting back issues of tons of stuff (all at half price), and a bunch of new comics (at 20% off) and even a couple of trades (at 35% to 50% off). I also ended up getting a Hawkman Blacket Night action figure from them, because what good is a Hawkgirl without a Hawkman?

My buddy, Jeff Burns (writer/director/producer extraordinaire) was there as well, promoting his web series "Super Knocked Up". We'll be doing an interview with Jeff sometime soon to help pimp his webseries, so make sure you're on the look out for that!


Anyway, it was a pretty successful FCBD, and if you haven't experienced it before, I highly suggest you check it out next year. It's a great tool to promote new (and old) comics, and a fantastic way to get your kids interested in reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment