Monday, February 7, 2011

Can't We All Just Get Along?!

Hello again! Today should be "Nerding 101", however, I'm going to take a week off to discuss something that is really bothering me: pretentious nerds. Now, I know that nerds, geeks and dweebs come in all shapes colors and sizes, and I just assume that everyone knows that. Some nerds are hot, some nerds are not, but in the end, as a whole, are all nerds about something. Whether that thing be "Star Trek", or comic books, or video games, or sports, people always have SOMETHING that they are passionate about. What I find completely uncool is when a nerd makes fun of someone else for something they like.

This comes completely from the Super Bowl last night. I was very sad to see so many of my fellow nerds have statuses like "Ugh, can't wait for stupid football to be over so I can watch Glee" and, "Do I have all of "The Maxx" comic books? Then of course I won't be watching the Super Bowl.". It bothers me so much because it's like saying "Hey, I'm a cool nerd, and I don't like football, so it's lame". When you do that it doesn't make you any better than the people who pick on you for what you like. You may not be a sports nerd (because most likely it was "the jocks" who picked on you 10+ years ago in high school), but there are people who feel the way you feel about the Super Bowl the same way they feel about "Star Wars". It doesn't make anyone wrong or right, it just makes you sound like a jerk who likes to pick on people who aren't like you.

I'm a nerd of all trades. I really like to try and consume myself with something before I decide if I like it or not. I used to not like football, because I didn't understand it, so I joined a fantasy football team. I thought D&D was totally dorky, until I tried it, now I hold the weekly "Nerd Night" at my house. My point is, at the end of the day, we should all try to be a little bit nicer to one and other. By shutting yourself out of something, and making fun of people for liking the things you don't understand all you're doing is limiting yourself. I have made some of the best friends in the world just by expanding my horizons. I challenge you all to do the same.

*Hugs and kisses*

No comments:

Post a Comment