Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Holy Crap! It's another Evan T Review! X-Men: First Class


So, yeah. No one in my unique and fantastic circle of friends was giving this movie any chance at all of being anything better than Superman IV: The Quest For Peace or Batman and Robin. I mean, aside from me. I took a cautiously optimistic, wait and see approach. Well I was pleasantly surprised by the movie.

First off they had a trailer for "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" and man, I hadn't really had that movie on my radar but a combination of James Franco and crazy monkey army attack has got me excited. Looks like fun and an interesting take on the franchise. The Planet of the Apes could use it after the movie was Burton-ized and really just turned into a suck souffle. Anyways, here's hoping.



As we all know already this is the story of a young Charles Xavier and a young Erik Lehnsherr meeting each other and making sweet mutant love...wait, no, that's a slashfic. My bad. It is the story of young Professor X and Magneto before they were all Professor X and Magneto. It's actually a very nice "I'm sorry for X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine". For anyone who is thinking I'm all full of it - Rotten Tomatoes score for those movies are 57% and 37% versus 86%.


The idea of using the Cuban Missile Crisis as a backdrop is a really fantastic idea. It never feels like the movie was forced into being in the 60's but just coincidentally happened at the same time. Having characters not always seen in the various iterations of the X-Men throughout their movie and television careers is neat, too. Seeing Havok, a non-fuzzy Beast, Darwin (!) and Banshee not to mention Sebastian Shaw, Riptide and Azazel (had to look him up on Wikipedia) was a ton of fun. I really like Cyclops and always enjoy seeing him but getting the chance to see his brother was actually just as fun.

I was unaware what a January Jones was before this movie. I didn't watch Unknown or American Wedding or Mad Men (yes, yes, I know, I'm on it) but I have to say, I'm a fan. Especially if she runs around in outfits like she does in this flick. This movie even has a mutant power of it's own - Being the most boobtastic of them all. Swinging 60's and all.


The movie also has possibly the best cameo I have seen in a Marvel movie yet. You will know it when you see it....freaking great

(Note from Carly: Below is the cameo that Evan T. is talking about... Don't click if you don't want to see it!)



I saw this with my fam as my nieces choice for their birthday movie. J1 and J2 (13 years old) both really enjoyed the movie. After it was over, they both asked me if "the blue one" (Mystique) was a bad guy now to which I replied yeah (oh, gee, spoiled for anyone who has never read an X-Men book or seen any of the movies). They both seemed kinda bummed. If this movie brought actual emotions like that out of some kids who didn't know or give a diddly squat about X-Men, imagine how much you might like it.

Another Note from Carly: Despite what Evan T. may think, I do actually want to see this movie, because I'm totally gay for X-Men. However, due to my infinite pregnantness, and the fact that I HATE being in a large sea of people, I have to wait a week or two to watch it. If you're confused, please refer to my previous post. :-)

1 comment:

  1. I believe, madam, when we were talking about summer movies this one was one you were not showing much excitement for

    ReplyDelete