Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patty's Day!

Today will be a rant, I'm going preface with that. Let me start off by saying that I don't get St. Patrick's Day. I really really don't. In my mind, all I see when I see a bunch of drunks together is a really really bad idea. Drunk people (boys especially) have a tendency to want to show off, and they want to fight when they've had too much to drink. Add in the fact that they've probably been up drinking since at LEAST 7 AM (Who wants to miss kegs and eggs? ewwww.....), and it's a recipe for disaster. Evan T. and the other Nerds were telling me of such a story that happened right here in Albany this past weekend involving a bunch of drunk college aged asshats, and way too much alcohol consumption.

Apparently, some of the kids attempted to start some sort of mini-riot in the student ghetto last weekend. The best part about it is that they really suck at trying to do it. I don't know what planet these jack-holes were raised on that they think it is okay to act like a bunch of coked up idiots and destroy property that doesn't belong to them. I take that back, because from what I understand coke-heads are in a generally better mood than drunks, so in the previous sentence replace the words "coked up idiots" with the words HUGE DOUCHEBAGS.

There was a huge article written by the local newspaper that was expressing it's concern about this incident giving the annual parade a black eye, and making Albany look bad. Hate to break it to you Times Union, but if the city had been doing a better job and keeping the order, it wouldn't happen. Also, thanks to the huge amount of drunk students downtown on a daily basis (walk Pearl Street on a Saturday night) and the fact that SUNY Albany is one of the top party schools in the country, you've already got a bit of a black eye. There are several times a year where there are "street fairs" and other occasions which street is closed down for essentially what becomes a big party. Here's an idea: ticket people for open containers. Or how about arresting people for fighting? A ticket for pissing in public perhaps?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for celebrating your heritage and whatnot, but I don't understand why it has to become "Wreck Other Peoples Shit Day". I'm not saying at ALL that we should suspend the activities that allow people to drink in the streets, all I'm saying is that a little personal responsibility would be nice. I mean, yaaaaaay, SUNY Albany has a rep for being one of the top party schools in the nation, but why do you need to carry that out into a public forum?

Bottom line is: have a good time. Shoot, have an alcohol fuled GREAT time, but be responsible. You are an adult, and if you want to get out of line, you should be treated like an adult. You know how to behave like a normal functioning member of society, so do it.

Below is a video from last weekend, showing theses jackasses trying and failing to flip a car. I mean, if you're going to get charged with trying to incite a riot, at least be able to flip a car. I'm just sayin'.... My personal favorite part is when they start chanting "assholes" at the cops. I think when you take a closer look at the video, you'll see that it is not, in fact, the cops who are the ones who are the assholes.




No comments:

Post a Comment