Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Carly on Comics Reviews Some Video Games!

Hello hello! Hope y'all had a great weekend full of awesomeness and fireworks! Last week I promised some video games, and this week I'm delivering. We're going to take a peek at the three games I've been playing as of late, and I'll let you know what I think of each!

Lucha Fury- The first game we're going to look at is the side-scrolling awesomeness for Xbox Live Arcade called "Lucha Fury". This is by far one of the best button mashers I've played in a long time. The press release for the game describes the synopsis as the following:

"In the world of Lucha Fury, the lost, ancient recipe for Pollojo, the nectar of the gods, is discovered by a struggling bar owner, who turns it into a highly successful energy drink. The gods, however, are not so happy about humans stealing their drink, and they set out to reclaim what is theirs - destroying humanity in the process. Four masked luchadores, having never accomplished much of anything in the past, suddenly find themselves without Pollojo and are sparked into battle to take down the old gods and return with their precious energy drink, possibly saving the world along the way."

Basically, there are four different luchador wrestlers to choose from, each with their own skill set and you pick the one you like best. For me, the chick was the obvious choice. The graphics are very colorful and vibrant, and the animation reminds me very much of "Borderlands", which I love. The best part about this game is that you can play local multiplayer with up to four people. In my opinion there are not enough games like that, where if you'd like to have three of your closest friends to play a video game you can all be on the same console playing together. Damn kids today with their online friends... Seriously, get a real live friend or two.  The game will set you back $10, but it's totally worth it for all of the button-mashing fun you'll have with your friends!





Child of Eden- The jury is still out on this one for me. "Child of Eden" is the follow up game to "Rez", which I've never played, but people seem to love. "Child of Eden" can be used with or without a Kinect, but I feel like the experience is better with a Kinect. The synopsis is as follows:

"Child of Eden thrusts you in the center of a battle to save Project Lumi, a mission to reproduce a human personality inside Eden, the archive of all human memories. As the project nears completion, the archive is invaded by an unknown virus. The player's mission is to purify Eden from the virus to restore hope and peace."
Instead of killing things, you "purify" them, and as you do so, you start to realize (when you're using the Kinect) that it feels like you're conducting the world. Each time you "purify" an enemy, there is a different sound fed back to you, so you're essentially making music. I found the game to be a little bit difficult to get used to, and I wish that it had more save spots, so that if I failed 3/4 of the way through a level  I didn't have to go all the way back to the beginning, but other than that, it's certainly an experience unlike any other. I described the game feel as "zen". If you're a big fan of the Kinect, it's certainly a must have.




Heavy Rain- The last game up for review today is "Heavy Rain" for the PS3. I know this one has been out for a while, but I just recently borrowed Evan T's PS3, so give me a break. I love this game. After the first half hour of playing I thought I was going to hate it, then I got submerged deeper into what was going on with the story, and it's pretty f'n amazing. I don't know how to refer to it other than a "choose your own adventure" type story. There are four different characters you're playing as, each at different times, and the story is told based on the decisions you make. It's like playing a movie, if that makes sense. Wikipedia's synopsis of the game is:

"Heavy Rain's story is a dramatic thriller modeled after film noir, featuring four protagonists involved with the mystery of the Origami Killer, a serial killer who uses extended periods of rainfall to drown his victims. Ethan Mars is a father who is trying to save his son from being the next victim, while investigative journalist Madison Paige, FBI profiler Norman Jayden, and private detective Scott Shelby are each trying to track down clues to the Origami Killer's identity."

It's a hauntingly awesome story, and you'll be amazed at how attached you'll get to the characters. If "L.A. Noir" is anything like "Hard Rain", I need to go out and buy a copy STAT.

No comments:

Post a Comment